Brown Bear

This picture was taken on a penninsula off Lynn Canal outside of Juneau by someone Mike works with.
I understand you don't want to mess with the Brown Bears. They are sure cute to look at, but they can be very hazardous to your health!!!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lunchtime Visitor...

Today on my lunch hour I came home and while walking through the house I heard the sounds of a bald eagle outside. I peeked through the bedroom window and this guy was in a tree in our backyard.
If you have ever heard this bird sing, you will know it is one of the most beautiful sounds you can hear in the wild.
(a little history ... we have a raptor sanctuary near our home, so we often get visitors of the 'wild' variety.)

The photo below is a picture of the greenbelt in our back yard. I circled the eagle so you can see just where he was perched. These guys like to sit WAY up high. It is neat to watch them fly around too. They seem to soar so far above all the other birds.
This past weekend I went to Auke Bay and watched someone throw some fish out ... birds (seagulls, crows, ravens, and 1 bald eagle) all flew in to grab some. The eagle was amazing to watch. He dove straight down and just before he hit the ground, he flipped upside down and flew under the other birds, grabbing the food and then back up to the top of a tall spruce tree. Those other birds didn't see him coming. Very cool.

Of course, I was watching with amazement and then I realized I better get the camera, but the show was over before I got a single picture of that feast.

(So...you will have to take my word for it.)
AND...did you notice? No snow in the yard.
none.
I am loving it! This winter is just so much milder than last year.
There is even beginnings of GREEN peeking through. The red branches you see low on the hill are the blueberry bushes. The yard is just covered with blueberries. YUM

0 Comments from Great People:

Come visit us in Alaska!!!

Black Bear & Cubs 7/23/09