Brown Bear

This picture was taken on a penninsula off Lynn Canal outside of Juneau by someone Mike works with.
I understand you don't want to mess with the Brown Bears. They are sure cute to look at, but they can be very hazardous to your health!!!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Some nice things to see in Alaska in August...

Anywhere you go in Juneau - any month of the year, you will see our beautiful world. August is no exception. The late berries are beginning to ripen and are so beautiful.

This is Devil's Club. The berries are poison but before you have a chance to get to them, the plant will let you know to stay away - thorns EVERYWHERE on this plant. Even on the leaves!
This one is called 'bunchberry' - it grows on the dwarf dogwood plant. I understand these berries are edible, but I haven't tasted them yet...supposed to taste like apple and I understand the local deer just love them.
This is high-bush cranberry - nearly ripe. They are turning red so quickly.
(We are keeping Alyx away from these!)
I try to take pictures of every mushroom I see. I think they are so cute. With so little rain this summer, we don't have as many as usual.
Does this guy look familiar? Yep, he is the one that walked right up to me the other day. Today I was using a ZOOM lens to get a picture. He was having a restful afternoon. Some walking around, climbing in trees, some scratching and napping.
He didn't bother me, I didn't bother him.
This was a fairly large black-bear. He climbed up this tree and peeled the bark back. I didn't get to see him stripping the bark, but I got there just after. Here is a photo of him sticking his tongue out at us. After I took this photo, I hung around for about a half hour to try to get another picture......but he just hugged the tree and took a nap.

0 Comments from Great People:

Come visit us in Alaska!!!

Black Bear & Cubs 7/23/09