Brown Bear

This picture was taken on a penninsula off Lynn Canal outside of Juneau by someone Mike works with.
I understand you don't want to mess with the Brown Bears. They are sure cute to look at, but they can be very hazardous to your health!!!

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Plants & Flowers - I am loving the springtime!

I thought I would take a break from posting photos of predators that could eat me and take picture of something a little safer, tee he hee.

Here are some pictures of plants & flowers that grow wild in Juneau...
I have become familiar with some of the names, but am still learning others. There are wild strawberries growing next to the beach, salmon berries (like raspberries) that are blooming right now, blueberries, cranberries, devil's club, wild irises, chocolate lilies, tropical looking plants, evergreens and more. I am sure I will get photos of all of them before it is over, but so far...this is a sampling what I have photographed:
These frigid shooting stars are abundant near the beach.
Wild strawberries growing next to Eagle Beach - I hear the berries are small, but very tasty & super sweet. Hope to get one before the bears & birds do!
We have seen these blue lupins all over the place, in town, on trails, near the beach...beautiful! We even have some in our backyard.
These little white flowers are on a low-growing groundcover type plant.
This whispy white flower is pretty commonly found and it has a very sweet, but mild scent. I would wear this if it were a perfume!!!
No flower yet on this tropical looking plant, but I am sure I will get one before it is all said and done!
This beautiful bright pink flower is on a SalmonBerry bush. The berries are assorted reds, yellows & oranges...I will try to get pics of them when they are ripening.
I have no idea what these reddish flowers are, but they sure are pretty!
This is devils' club...barbs on the stem, barbs on the leaves - not fun to play with.
This is a mossy ground-covering flower. I am not sure what it is, but it is sure pretty.

0 Comments from Great People:

Come visit us in Alaska!!!

Black Bear & Cubs 7/23/09